Welcome to the wonderful world of Speed Arithmetic (Vedic Mathematics). A science lost due to the advent of modern mathematics. Speed Arithmetic system is far more simple and enjoyable than modern mathematics. Research shows that the application of Vedic mathematics makes use of both parts of the brain. So versatile is this science that it has been incorporated in the educational syllabi of many countries worldwide.
Research shows that the application of Vedic mathematics makes use of both parts of the brain. So versatile is this science that it has been incorporated in the educational syllabus of many countries worldwide.
- Vedic mathematics is a system of mental calculation developed by Shri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji which he claimed he had based on a lost appendix of Atharvaveda, an ancient text of the Indian teachings called Veda. It has some similarities to the Trachtenberg system in that it speeds up some arithmetic calculations. It claims to have applications to more advanced mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra. The system was first published in the book Vedic Mathematics in 1965. The system has since been developed further and there have been several other books released.
- In the Vedic system, ‘difficult’ problems or huge sums can often be solved immediately by the Vedic method. These striking and beautiful methods are just a part of a complete system of mathematics which is far more systematic than the modern ‘system’. Vedic Mathematics manifests the coherent and unified structure of mathematics and the methods are complementary, direct and easy.
THE VEDIC MATHEMATICS SUTRAS:
- This list of sutras is taken from the book Vedic Mathematics, which includes a full list of the sixteen Sutras in Sanskrit, but in some cases a translation of the Sanskrit is not given in the text and comes from elsewhere.
WHY VEDIC MATHS?
- The Sutras (aphorisms) apply to and cover each and every part of each and every chapter of each and every branch of mathematics (including Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry – plane and solid, Trigonometry – plane and spherical, Conics – geometrical and analytical, Astronomy, Calculus – differential and integral etc.) In fact, there is no part of mathematics, pure or applied, that is beyond their jurisdiction.
- The Sutras are easy to understand, easy to apply and easy to remember, and the whole work can be truthfully summarised in one word ‘Mental’!Even as regards complex problems involving a good number of mathematical operations (consecutively or even simultaneously to be performed), the time taken by the Vedic method will be a third, a fourth, a tenth, or even a much smaller fraction of the time required according to modern (i.e. current) Western methods.
- And in some very important and striking cases, sums requiring 30, 50, 100 or even more numerous and cumbrous ‘steps’ of working (according to the current Western methods) can be answered in a single and simple step of work by the Vedic method! And young students (of only 12 or 14 years of age) merely look at the sums written on the blackboard and immediately shout out and dictate the answers. And this is because, as a matter of fact, each digit automatically yields its predecessor and its successor! And the children have merely to go on tossing off (or reeling off) the digits one after another (forwards or backwards) by mere mental arithmetic (without needing pen or pencil, paper, slate etc.).
- On seeing this kind of work actually being performed by the little children, the doctors, professors and other ‘big-guns’ of mathematics are wonder-struck and exclaim: ‘Is this mathematics or magic’? And we invariably answer and say: ‘It is both. It is magic until you understand it; and it is mathematics thereafter’. And then we proceed to substantiate and prove the correctness of this reply of ours!
- As regards the time required by the students for mastering the whole course of Vedic Mathematics as applied to all its branches, we need merely state from our actual experience that 6 to 9 months at an average rate of 2 or 4 hours per week (including practise time) should suffice for completing the whole course of mathematical studies on these Vedic lines instead of 15 or 20 years required according to the existing systems of the Indian and also of foreign universities.
BENEFITS OF VEDIC MATHEMATICS :
- It helps a person to solve mathematical problems 10-15 times faster.
- It helps in Intelligent Guessing (Knowing the answer without actually solving the problem)
- It reduces the burden (Need to learn tables up to nine only).
- It is a magical tool to reduce scratch work and finger counting and improve Mental Calculation.
- It increases concentration.
- It improves confidence.
The programme is for the age group of 12 years and above.
- 3 Basic Level
- 3 Advance Level
- Duration per level – 12 – 16 weeks.
- One session per week of 2 hours.
- Two sessions per week of 1 hour each.
- Students per class – 12 to 15.
- Certificates are awarded on the successful completion of each level.